Wednesday 3 January 2018

Two years after wife lost cancer battle, then he gets a mysterious call

Two years after Brenda Schmitz passed away, a local radio station receives an anonymous letter and quickly calls the late lady’s husband to go to their station. The unexpected letter moves him and many others to tears.

KSTZ radio station in Des Moines, Iowa, has been granting Christmas wishes for listeners for more than 20 years. This time, however, they decided to grant a wish from a listener for Brenda’s husband, David Schmitz, that was so special and so personal that he was called to the station to receive it personally.

David said: “They said they had received a letter that someone wanted to grant me a wish. I asked who is it from and they said it’s so personal that we can’t tell you over the phone. You need to come in here.”

It turned out that before she lost her battle to ovarian cancer, Brenda wrote a letter to make her Christmas wish. She asked her friend to send the letter to the station after her husband found a new mom for their four children.

So, after David asked Jayne Abraham to marry him, the letter was sent to the station.

“An anonymous letter was sent to Star 102.5 Christmas Wish. We’ve been granting Christmas Wishes for over 20 years and I’ve never read a letter like the one I received from Brenda,” station manager Scott Allen said. “Everyone, no matter the age, was moved.”


Host Colleen Kelly read Brenda’s letter to David:

My reason for writing is this. I have a wish. I have a wish for David, the boys, and the woman and her family if she has kids also. I want them to know I love them very much.


Then Brenda made three wishes: The first one was to treat her husband’s fiancée to a spa day.

“She deserves it,” Brenda wrote. “Being a step-mother to all those boys, and especially giving little Max a mother’s love that only she can give. Make her smile and know her efforts are truly appreciated from me.

“Thank you. I love you, whoever you are,” she added.

The second wish was for the whole family to take a magical trip so they can have lifelong memories. And, the last one was for the doctors and nurses who took care of her at Mercy Medical Center.

“A night out full of drinks, food and fun for all they do every day for the cancer patients they encounter,” she wrote.

The husband was all tears upon hearing the letter.


“I was surprised, but in a way, I also wasn’t. This was Brenda,” the tearful husband said. “She had so much forethought before she died. I always love to tell the story.

“Brenda and I talked before she passed. She told me to meet someone that would love the boys and treat them like her own. I asked her how I’d know when I met that person. Brenda said I would know because she’d be there.”

Jayne said what meant the most to her about the letter was Brenda said “she loved me.”

The radio station granted all Brenda’s wishes. They are sending the whole family to Disney World in Florida, where Jayne will also have her spa day.

“We’ve never taken a family vacation and this will be wonderful,” Jayne said. “It will allow us to create a bond amongst all of us that we haven’t necessarily, had a chance to do quite yet.

“We are always coming and going, so this gives us time to sit back and enjoy each other.

“Our hearts are just throbbing and so filled right now,” she added.


(Source: Inspired)

No comments:

Post a Comment